We have services for women experiencing domestic and family violence and recovering from the health effects of abuse. All of our clinical and counselling services are suited to women who are dealing with abuse. Our approach is non-judgemental and we support you to make your own decisions in your own time.
- Counselling free of charge – we have different types of counselling and a psychologist registered with Medicare and Victims Services. Contact us to discuss which of our counsellors might be most suitable to your needs
- Medical and complementary health care – GPs, nurse clinics, acupuncture, naturopathy and physiotherapy
- Courses in stress management, communication skills and healthy relationships
- Legal advice clinics with Gowland Legal (first appointment is free and there is no obligation) – on the first Tuesday of the month
- Referrals to community organisations, crisis services and women’s refuges.
We have a long history of supporting women experiencing domestic violence and working with our network of local services.
We have over 40 years experience in providing health care and counselling for women experiencing domestic and family violence and our staff have more than 20 years experience in attending court to support women going through the legal process.
We auspice the Leichhardt Marrickville Domestic Violence Liaison Committee (LMDVLC). The LMDVLC aims to raise awareness of domestic and family violence issues and enhance interagency responses and partnerships within the Leichhardt, Marrickville and surrounding areas. If you are from a local organisation and would like to find out more about the committee, please contact the secretary Matthew Balane on T: 9367 9271 or email@example.com.
We are a member of the Sydney Local Health District Domestic Violence Committee which comprises over 20 agencies in the Sydney Local Health District which meet quarterly for networking, partnerships and advocacy for domestic violence prevention and support in order to enhance information and service access for clients. Most of this committee’s members are from Health funded organisations, both in the public system and non-government organisations.
We are pleased to be partnering with Leichhardt Council on ‘Speak Out’, a campaign to raise awareness about domestic and family violence and highlighting the importance of healthy and respectful relationships.
And in 2014 we established SOS Women’s Services with other agencies and business people to advocate against the closure of women’s refuges in the inner city. After the success of that campaign we expanded our advocacy state-wide and have lobbied for additional funds for women’s organisations.
We often receive donations to assist women and children in crisis. Financial donations help cover the costs of providing health care and are also often used to help women in crisis to pay their bills. Donations to Leichhardt Women’s are tax deductible. Sometimes new clothes and toiletries can be particularly helpful too.